TOEFL Online Practice
- August 22, 2017
- (0) Comments
Taking the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is a requirement for any foreign student who wishes to attend an English-speaking college or university. The goal of the test is to measure a student’s ability to function in a university setting.
The test itself is broken into four sections. They measure reading comprehension, listening comprehension, speaking ability, and writing ability. Getting a good score on the test requires doing well in all four sections of the exam.
The most common form of the test is the TOEFL IBT, or internet-based test. This version of the test is taken on a computer in a testing facility. The key to preparing for the TOEFL IBT is to get as much online practice as possible.
Make sure that you have carefully gone through our Free TOEFL Study Guide, which will walk you through the process of what you need to do to truly succeed on the exam.
The Benefits of Online TOEFL Practice
Let’s start by looking at some of the benefits of online TOEFL practice. What can you hope to achieve by practicing the TOEFL online?
- Online TOEFL practice gives you access to real TOEFL questions from prior versions of the test. You will be able to get a realistic feeling of what to expect, both in terms of the format of the test and the types of questions you can expect to get on test day.
- Taking the TOEFL online is the best way to get a simulation of the experience of taking the real test. The best testing options are those that give you a full-length TOEFL test that is timed the way the real test is. These practice tests can be found
- If you typically suffer from nervousness or anxiety prior to taking an important test, then online TOEFL practice may be able to help you reduce the amount of anxiety you feel on the day of the test. Knowing what to expect can help to remove any uncertainty from the occasion and get you in the right mental state of mind to do well on the test.
- Taking an online TOEFL practice test can also help you focus on the areas where you most need to improve. It is perfectly natural to do better on some sections of the test than on others. If you are not sure where you need to spend the most time preparing for the TOEFL, taking an online practice test can help you narrow your options down and focus your attention where it most needs to go.
As you can see, there are some significant benefits to taking online TOEFL practice tests. Does this mean that there is no benefit to be gained by doing offline test preparation too? Of course not. But online test prep, particularly if you are taking the IBT, is essential for a smooth experience on the day of the test.
Resources for TOEFL Online Practice
There are many online resources where you can find sample TOEFL questions, but some are better than others. If you are really serious about getting lots of good practice online, we suggest that you take a look at our list of Top 5 TOEFL Online Practice Tests. Here are some others you might also want to consider:
- ETS offers a list of helpful resources for TOEFL preparation online. The reason is that ETS is the non-profit organization that creates and administers the TOEFL around the world. Their website has a series of free study options, including access to their library of past test questions. They also have a full, six-month preparation course that includes at least eight full practice tests to be taken online, along with feedback on your answers and full scoring so you can figure out where you need to focus your efforts. Their online testing options include software-based scoring of the spoken parts of the test, something that can be difficult to find on any other TOEFL preparation site. Although ETS is writes the TOEFL exam, they do not necessarily offer the best online services. This is a list of the Top 5 TOEFL Online Practice Tests.
- Magoosh is a test preparation subscription service that offers some unique test preparation options. While they don’t offer full, timed TOEFL practice tests, they do provide subscribers with unlimited access to more than 100 test preparation videos. The videos include study tips, test questions, and detailed explanations of answers to sample questions. Magoosh actually guarantees that your test score will improve as a result of using their test prep materials, so it’s something to consider.
- TestDen is another site that offers a short version of at TOEFL practice exam. It’s a 30-minute long test that includes sample questions from all four parts of the official TOEFL. Once you register, you can take a total of three test exams. You will get graded on the reading comprehension and listening portions of the exams you take, but not on speaking or writing skills.
- Graduates Hotline is a website that provides a total of eight practice tests, as well as additional listening tests and other TOEFL preparation materials. It’s a good option if you are looking for additional test questions to help you prepare for the day you take the TOEFL.
The key to preparing for the TOEFL is to do as much online preparation as possible. Online TOEFL practice is the best way to prepare for the IBT test because it simulates the experience of taking the test – and it will provide you with the opportunity to get the highest possible score on test day.Read More