TOEFL Preparation Course Material
- August 3, 2017
- (0) Comments
Preparing for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is not something to be taken lightly. After all, the score you get will determine whether or not you are accepted to the college or university of your choice. You must be able to read, listen, speak, and write English with a certain degree of fluency to excel in a university setting.
One of the keys to effective test preparation is getting your hands on the right TOEFL Preparation Course Material. It’s not enough simply to study English parts of speech and vocabulary. You should also be as familiar as possible with the format of the test and what to expect. That way, you won’t waste valuable time trying to figure out what to do when the day of the test arrives.
There are certainly plenty of options when it comes to TOEFL Preparation Course Material. Let’s review them and talk about what is available so you can get what you need.
Remember that your best source to start with is this website. Do not leave the website without having read all the key articles contained in the menu bar up top.
ETS is the non-profit organization that developed the TOEFL and administers the test to students around the world. For that reason, they offer the only official TOEFL test preparation course material. They have both free and paid options on their website.
Here are some of the things they offer:
- A free test preparation guide that includes an 8-week calendar to help you plan out your preparations.
- Free sample test questions and answers.
- TOEFL preparation books with full sample tests and tips and guidelines to help you prepare for the test.
On the ETS site, you can also find a list of testing locations and times and complete an online registration form. Test places tend to fill up quickly, so you should plan on registering at least six months prior to the test.
There are some other important websites which we will mention below, but make sure you have read the following articles that outline which of the TOEFL test websites and TOEFL courses should be considered first.
Learn4Good is a test preparation company that has a website and also offers offline classes around the world. Their website has resources in English, as well as Spanish, French, German, Italian, and Portuguese.
While they don’t have full practice tests online, they do have a series of 11 practice tests with 25 questions each. They also have:
- Individual lessons covering English grammar, including parts of speech and word order.
- English vocabulary lists.
- Resources to help you interpret unfamiliar words, including a glossary of common prefixes and suffixes.
If they offer in-person classes in your area, you may want to consider signing up for one. The benefit of a real world class is that it gives you the opportunity to get in speaking and listening practice in real time with an instructor present.
NoteFull is an excellent online TOEFL course with detailed video lessons from experienced teachers. You will gain valuable tips and test taking strategies from people that know what it takes to pass the exam.
NoteFull is one of the top providers of TOEFL practice tests, tutoring, and online courses. It is a very popular choice for many TOEFL students. The Notefull team focuses a lot on teaching their students different tactics and strategies that can help you in the TOEFL exam. Also, the teachers at Notefull only specialize in TOEFL, and therefore, have extensive knowledge of the TOEFL test.
They give you very actionable tips that’ll help you score better in the exam.
This course is especially recommended for those students who want to improve themselves in a certain area. Let’s say your score for the reading, listening, and writing section is very good, but you want to improve your speaking skills; Notefull allows you to purchase different packages for any particular section of the TOEFL exam, which is ideal for some students.
Click here to check out Notefull’s free course.
Magoosh is a subscription-based TOEFL preparation website that offers a huge volume of preparation materials to the people who subscribe. You can choose to subscribe only for a few weeks, or choose the six-month option.
All of Magoosh’s subscription options give students access to over 100 preparation videos that include test questions, sample answers, and explanations of answers. They also provide:
- Sample test questions for all four sections of the TOEFL
- Sample answers for the written and spoken parts of the test
- Tips and tricks to help you get the highest possible score when you take the test
Magoosh actually guarantees that your score will improve if you use their TOEFL preparation course material, so that’s something to keep in mind if you have already taken the test once and are trying to improve your score.
Kaplan is a respected name in test preparation, and the TOEFL is no different. They offer in-person classes around the world. Most of their classes meet five days a week. They include:
- Classroom instruction each week with a native English speaker
- Four to sixteen week classes, depending upon your needs
- Access to full practice tests with scoring to help you analyze your performance and focus your preparation on the areas where you most need it
- Access to online course materials
If you can’t get to one of Kaplan’s real world classes, they also offer an online course option.
We’ve covered some of the best options, but here are a few other websites and resources to consider:
- TOEFL Test Preparation: The Insider’s Guide – a full online course with verified instructors. When you enroll, you’ll also get a book with full-length practice tests.
- The Princeton Review is another respected name in test preparation. They offer preparation materials and courses. One thing that sets them apart is that you can use their website to find a tutor to help you with TOEFL test preparation if you want to work one-on-one with somebody.
- Udemy has at least one TOEFL preparation course that includes 39 hours of instruction and lifetime access to course materials.
The best thing to do is to give some consideration to your particular needs and then choose the course that best suits them. Not all courses are the same, and it’s important to select the one that will give you the best chance of success.Read More